The Slingwing is a single-strut inflatable wing Slingshot first developed almost ten years ago and is officially launching to the public this summer. The wing is symmetrical from end to end and is aerodynamically designed to fly weightless like a giant paper airplane when held horizontal into the wind and to provide propulsion when engaged properly.
What Slingshot has to say about the Slingwing Classic NEW for 2020, the SlingWing is part windsurfing, part kiteboarding and part flying, each broken down to their most basic form. When you combine it with a foil, you get an entirely new sport that simplifies the experience and gear you need to fly across the water powered by the wind. If you’re new to windsports, the SlingWing is easier, safer and more user-f riendly than any of its predecessors, and if you’re an experienced wind junkie, it’s a fun and simplistic style of riding you’ll enjoy instantly.
The SlingWing is a lightweight inflatable wing that has a rigid frame when pumped up and can be packed in a small bag when deflated. No harness, control bar, lines, mast, boom or battens needed. It’s designed to be used with a foil or paddle board with enough volume for the rider to stand on and can also be used with snow sports or skating.
Why You'll Love the Slingwing Using the wind to propel you across the water (or land) is an addicting sensation, and the Slingwing is yet another form to get your fix. You need decent board skills, but little to no sailing or kiting experience to get the hang of it right out of the gate. Its unique appeal comes from how simple it is and the freedom you feel using it. Just stand on your board, hold the wing at the proper angle and off you go. To ease power, just sheet out or let go with your back hand and the wing drifts with you like a paper airplane.
Who Is It For? One of the greatest things about the SlingWing is how simple and safe it is to use. All you really need are moderate board/foil skills and a basic awareness of the wind. It was designed to be combined with foiling, and since the friction is so low, it takes very little arm strength to use once you’re cruising. It works the same without a foil- on a paddle board, skis/snowboard or skateboard- but may require more strength to use for extended periods.
Performance Attributes. * Cruising at all points of sail (upwind, downwind, across the wind) * Great for catching waves and downwind swell riding * Easy to tack, jibing and turn * Easy to disengage all power * Top Speed determined by your foil and wind speeds
The best thing about the Slingwing is how easy it is to use. You need solid board and foil skills, but you don’t need any kite or windsurfing skills to make it work on your first session. You will need a board with enough volume to float you and enough wind to propel you forward fast enough to get moving and up on foil. You need a board with enough volume for you to stand on without sinking.
Outwit foil board matched with the Hover Glide FSUP package. Match a foil board with a hydrofoil big wing – ideally, one designed for surf of SUP surfing. As you get better, you can start experimenting with different wings. A Quick How-To: Getting Going…First Tip. Stand on the board your back to the wind and the Slingwing in your front hand. When you’re ready, grab with your back hand and, sheet in and engage the wing into the wind. As you pick up speed, pump your board a few times to get on foil and off you go. It’s really is that simple. When you want to disengage the wing, simply sheet out or let go with your back hand altogether and it floats in the wind with essentially no resistance. Transitions take a little hand-to-hand coordination, but it’s honestly very simple to figure out.
1) Bombproof Slingshot Construction: We have 20+ years building the most durable gear on the market. The SlingWing is built to the same standards with many of the same innovations we use in our top-of-the-line kites.
2) Reflex Inflatable Trailing Edge Design: The SlingWing’s unique design features an inflatable trailing edge that completes a rigid frame around the entire wing (not just the leading edge like other designs). This makes a big difference in performance, wind and load tolerance and gives it “pitch positive” flight. The frame keeps it from flapping, fluttering and folding in the wind the way less robust designs are prone to.
3) Power Grip Y Handle Layout: Multiple grip points in a Y shape along the leading edge and center strut gives you the freedom to position your hands in the ideal position no matter how you maneuver. This unique design also gives you better leverage over the wing to manipulate its angle of attack with greater precision and less strain.
4) Wide Boy Mono Strut: The SlingWing’s center strut is large and in charge, and for good reason. The wide strut profile allows the power grip handles more leverage over the center axis of the wing, which translates to an easier and more efficient control in your hands.
5) Buddy Windows: See-through panels along the center strut provide increased visibility when using the wing out front instead of overhead.
6) Skate Scuff Tough Strips: An attention to detail that will dramatically increase durability for anyone looking to use the SlingWing as a crossover toy for skating or on the snow. Scuff strips are located on the wingtips where they are vulnerable to damage from dragging on rough surfaces.
7) High Pressure Valves: For maximum air pressure in the Reflex Trailing Edge.
8) 30 Piece Constant Curve Leading Edge: Segmented leading edge sewn in multiple sections to create the perfect shape and taper while maintaining stiffness throughout the wing.
9) One Pump: The Original Single Point Inflation System gets you on and off the water faster.
10) Leading Edge Surf Handles: Grippy grab handles are located strategically on the leading edge to give the rider more options, more range of movement and more leverage over the wing to accommodate different conditions and uses.
11) Split Strut: Integration of the canopy and center strut for maximum structure and performance.
Benefits of the inflatable technology * It’s lightweight * Easy hand control * It floats (safety) * It offers convenient, fast set up * It’s packable. With easy storage. * It’s less expensive than rigid frame wings.
Package includes: Wing, SlingWing back pack, Safety leash, QSG, Bladder patch kit, * pump not included